When I read about heredity and traits, I learned a lot of new things about why we look like our selves. First, I read about heredity and I learned that when a baby is conceived, it has 46 chromosomes, or two sets of 23 chromosomes. A baby has 23 chromosomes from the father, and 23 chromosomes from the mother. They create one cell that has 46 chromosomes, also called a zygote. Each baby looks different because they all have different combinations of their parents cells. For example, we look more like our mothers, fathers, or even grandparents. All of the chromosomes are randomly passed down to the baby. The only condition is that the baby can receive only one of each chromosome. This is why each baby has unique traits.
I also learned about traits. When I read about them I learned that traits are passed down to children. Physical traits include hair color, eye color, and height. Behavioral traits are characteristics on the way we act. Traits can also include the heath risks passed down, such as heart disease. These traits can also change from your environment. There is also dominant, and recessive traits. When a trait is passed down to the child, it takes random ones from the parents which decide whether it will have a heterozygous trait, or a homozygous trait. There is also a chance that trait will combine and produce incomplete dominance. Everyone has 99.9 percent of the same traits so we are all very alike.
Saturday, January 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment