Saturday, November 14, 2009

Science current event #2

"Skunks Strategy not, just black and white"
Researchers discovered recently, that Skunks may not only be avoided because of their smell. They think that it could be because of the black and white design in their fur. Skunks predators could be afraid of them because of their body shape, too. Hunter, a scientist, decided to do an experiment on this. He dyed stuffed skunks and foxes. The skunks he dyed gray and black, and the foxes he dyed white and black. He did this because he wanted to see if the skunks had a distinctive shape, not only smell and appearance. He located these in California where they are not very common. This happened around October, 21, 2008. Researchers did this because they wanted to know if skunks were a true threat, and if their body shape and coloration really turned off predators. The results were that most animals would sniff, or lick the stuffed skunks but most would mostly avoid them.
In my opinion, I think that this experiment was true, and that it is true that skunks may be a threat to other animals. I also think that they do have a shape, and a distinctive body shape that would have other animals avoiding it. Hunter also said in the article that some animals may not even eat skunks. I agree with this statement, because I think that maybe they just eat grass, and then die, so decomposers break them up. In conclusion, I think that Skunks are not just avoided because of their smell, I think it could be of their shape and coloration, too.

No comments: